Herberton the "Village in the Hills" Community Website
click to see new website under construction
Herberton is a pretty little town set in rugged hills on the western edge of the Atherton Tablelands. It seems to stretch out along the hills and meander across the ridges. Located 122 km from Cairns and 915 metres above sea-level, it is now a quiet town with a population of about 1200. There are only hints that it was once the most important town on the Tablelands.
The discovery of tin at Herberton was largely responsible for the development of the other towns on the Atherton Tablelands. Towns like Mareeba and Atherton were originally stopover places for the Cobb & Co coaches which plied the route from Port Douglas to Herberton.
By the early 1900s the town was booming and included two newspapers, 17 pubs and a brewery. The Jack and Newell General Store opposite the council offices was built in 1882 and was constructed from pit sawn cedar. Some of the original joinery can still be seen in the building.
A walk around town reveals other historic buildings. Often built during the periodic boom times of Herberton, many are classic examples of the styles in vogue at the time.
Herberton's idyllic climate, its built heritage and its wonderful natural surrounds make it attractive to visitors from around the globe. Visitors also remark on the friendly country hospitality shown by local residents.
This website is an initiative of the Lions Club of Herberton Inc. and provides a one stop shop for all information relating to the Herberton geographic community.
Click link for accommodation in Herberton
Contact the Lions Club at email@example.com for further information or inclusion on this website.
Local WeatherClick link to view
Visitors to Website